Re: How to use "autofitter" with TTF

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: How to use "autofitter" with TTF
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 05:05:11 +0000 (UTC)

> I am a beginner and interested to contribute to this project.

Great!

> I am exploring how to set "glyph-to-script-map" property for
> "autofitter" with Devanagari TTF fonts.  I explored the code in
> depth and realize that for TTF this property is not implemented.  Is
> this conclusion correct?

Nope.  How did you come to that conclusion?

> Furthermore, it seems that the above property works only for .CFF
> fonts.

This isn't correct, either.  The auto-hinter is completely agnostic of
whether glyphs use second-order (TTF) or third-order (CFF) Bézier
curves.

What exactly do you want to achieve?  If FreeType gets linked with
HarfBuzz (which you should always do), the `glyph-to-script-map`
property should be correctly set automatically – for SFNT-based font
formats, that is, which is both used by TTFs and CFFs.  However, you
won't find any other font formats today that can be universally used
on all platforms.

    Werner