Re: How to use "autofitter" with TTF

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: How to use "autofitter" with TTF
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:17:42 +0000 (UTC)

> I have the output with TRACE7, it's quite big, should I post it here
> or if you suggest other sharing means?

This is probably not necessary; mentioning the debugging support was
basically meant for your own education.

> I am posting my script if you want to try at your end

Thanks, but I'm not a Python guy, so I won't test this by myself.

> font = pygame.freetype.Font("/usr/share/fonts/truetype/Sarai/Sarai.ttf", 50)

I haven't found this font in the internet.  What I could find,
however, was a font called `Sarai Regular.ttf` (from 2007, version
1.0).  The number 50 indicates the PPEM value, right?  If so, hinting
doesn't matter much, provided the hints are OK[*]: at such large sizes
it is normally rather irrelevant whether you use hinting or not since
the difference is very small.

Anyway, attached you can see three images of `Sarai Regular`, showing
the output of `ftview` at a size of 16ppem:

* after pressing key 'B' to show TrueType hinting
* after pressing key 'C' to show 'light' (i.e., auto) hinting
* pressing 'h' to switch off hinting.

As far as I can tell, the auto-hinted version looks quite good.

    Werner

[*] It's not OK for this particular font, for example, look at glyph
    'glyph177' (glyph index 182), which distorts the horizontal bar.

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image