freetype

[ft] Rendering Arabic

From: Tim Orton
Subject: [ft] Rendering Arabic
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 10:39:28 +0100

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to render Arabic text using FreeType2?
The main issue is that with Arabic, characters have different forms
depending on whether they are at the start, middle or end of a word. (I
think this is called "glyph joining", is that correct?)
FreeType doesn't seem to handle this natively, so I think I need to use
another library to handle it, such as Pango or FriBidi, however, I want to
use it for a commercial product, so I can't use a license which requires me
to release my source code. Does anyone know of a library that I can use, or
another way to render Arabic text properly?

Thanks,

Tim Orton

address@hidden
+44 (0)1223 421034

*O**SO**SIM*

learning brought to life

Ososim Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 06608651. Registered
Office: St John's Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS