freetype

[ft] Freetype version 23.1.17 broken on Windows (MinGW-W64)

From: Waji Deus
Subject: [ft] Freetype version 23.1.17 broken on Windows (MinGW-W64)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 14:31:57 -0400

I've tried both the pacman distribution and building freetype from source.

FT_Init_FreeType, FT_New_Face, FT_Set_Char_Size, and FT_Load_Char all
return successfully, but the second you try to call FT_Render_Glyph, the
program will crash.

This is because FT_Load_Glyph is putting random garbage data into the
FT_GlyphSlot.. If you call FT_Load_Glyph with the FT_LOAD_RENDER load flag
instead of calling FT_Render_Glyph manually, the program won't crash, but
the glyph slot is still demonstrably full of random garbage.

There doesn't seem to be any record of this problem on the internet, and no
one on StackOverflow appears to know what's wrong either. It's just
standard boilerplate code that matches 1:1 with every freetype tutorial
you'll find.

This has put my project on hold for a few days now, so I'm going to have to
resort to using bitmap fonts in the meantime, but it'd be really helpful if
you could look into this and get back to me.