freetype

Re: [ft] Freetype version 23.1.17 broken on Windows (MinGW-W64)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Freetype version 23.1.17 broken on Windows (MinGW-W64)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 22:25:55 +0200 (CEST)

> FT_Init_FreeType, FT_New_Face, FT_Set_Char_Size, and FT_Load_Char
> all return successfully, but the second you try to call
> FT_Render_Glyph, the program will crash.
>
> This is because FT_Load_Glyph is putting random garbage data into
> the FT_GlyphSlot.. If you call FT_Load_Glyph with the FT_LOAD_RENDER
> load flag instead of calling FT_Render_Glyph manually, the program
> won't crash, but the glyph slot is still demonstrably full of random
> garbage.

Please provide a command-line sample program that triggers the problem
using a single glyph.

> This has put my project on hold for a few days now, so I'm going to
> have to resort to using bitmap fonts in the meantime, but it'd be
> really helpful if you could look into this and get back to me.

It would also be helpful if you compiled the library with activated
tracing support by defining FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_ERROR and
FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE.  Maybe the problem is specific to MinGW-W64.
Call the sample program with

  FT2_DEBUG=any:7 demo-program <font>

and send me the output.  Please use a freely available font for
testing, if possible.

    Werner