fsuk-manchester

Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] iplayer.. ???? what?

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] iplayer.. ???? what?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:15:04 +0000

"Giacomo Lacava" <address@hidden> writes:

> Crossover doesn't run on all linux distro,

And even if it does now run on 64-bit x86, a media playing system
might, perhaps, be ARM-based.

Here's a different real example:  when Crossover was being used
(tried?) at my last establishment, my desktop was Debian/SPARC.

> is difficult to install, is
> proprietary, is not a plugin (is a Windows-emulation layer based on
> WINE), and IIRC is not even free as in beer.

Indeed.  Do they even licence the relevant codecs?

I don't know they'd have to mention Crossover anyhow, since mplayer &
al will typically play Doze media in some fashion on ia32 if you snarf
the appropriate DLLs from Windows.