fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: iplayer.. ???? what?

From: Iain Roberts
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: iplayer.. ???? what?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:01:47 +0000 (GMT)

----- "Stephen Mount" <address@hidden> wrote:
> iirc, BBC iPlayer is supposed to be made cross-platform soon?
>
> Didn't they get a grilling from some company? I'm sure thats what I
> read.

The Open Source Consortium kicked off a campaign on iPlayer back in February,
including complaints to OFCOM and the OFT and a threat of going to the EU with
a complaint that the BBC is misusing state funds by promoting one vendor over
another (and the one vendor they're promoting happens to be a convicted
monopolist).

The campaign has gone very well (the threat of legal action seems to focus the
mind wonderfully) but there's still a way to go.

What we *have* achieved is
1. A commitment from the BBC to release programmes in YouTube-style non-DRM'd
streaming which should make programmes accessible over the Internet to everyone.
2. A willingness to explore further the options for developing a FLOSS iPlayer,
possibly involving the community.

The gap at the moment is that there's still no commitment to parity between
different OSs.  Sure the BBC say they'll *work towards* making iPlayer
cross-platform and they'll *talk* about Free alternatives, but that's just what
you'd say to get someone off your back if you had no intention of doing
anything at all, so we can't take it for granted.

The principle is a legal one: when a publically funded body acts in such a way
as to promote one vendor over another, it can be seen as illegal and we can
challenge it on those grounds.

Internally, they can do what they like.  What they can't do is say "We've got
this great new service, paid for by the taxpayer/licence-payer; by the way, you
need to buy a Windows PC to use it.", any more than they can say "We've
launched a great new channel; by the way you need to by a Sony TV to watch it."

If we can win *that* argument, debates about how many Linux users there are
become irrelevant.

Iain

--
Iain Roberts
Axiom Tech

Axiom Tech Ltd is registered in England and Wales at 92 Didsbury Road,
Stockport, SK4 2JL, company no 5684132, VAT no 878 6568 46.  Unless agreed
otherwise, all services and products supplied by Axiom Tech are subject to our
standard terms and conditions, available on request.