fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Young people & free software
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 13:59:47 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
MJ Ray wrote:
I believe ageism is wrong in both directions (either 50+ers prejudging
teenagers or teenagers prejudging 50+ers) and should not be supported,
I agree totally. But I'm not sure this is all about ageism, simply that people tend to identify more with people of their own age.

How is that not ageism, put like that?  People tend to identify more
with people they see as similar to themselves in some ways, so people
of a similar age will more probably have similar experiences and so
on, but it need not directly be about age.

Solving the problems surrounding ageism isn't something that can be done overnight by forcing various groups into the same social space. By creating this $thing we are helping older people encounter skilled and knowledgeable young people whilst at the same time introducing young people to older people who won't speak down to them. Whilst the issues at the heart of the issue are hardly solved, we can encourage understanding amongst people without it it being a prerequisite to joining a mailing list or going to a meeting.

I'm not sure what "existing" groups you would suggest working with; presumably youth groups and the scouts/guides etc.

I was thinking youth groups and clubs around education institutions.

So essentially "computer clubs"?

Maybe the scouts, guides, woodcraft folk and religious groups with
interests in sharing might be approachable, but I don't remember them
being particularly able to form subgroups.

I imagine if people wanted to do something a way would be found, however I'm not sure this is the best use of our resources.

Knowing how many people are part of these groups in the relevant age bracket makes me somewhat critical that trying to interest people from nothing (or persuading them that this is more fun than playing football or building campfires) is going to be tough.

I don't know how many people are part of them today.  Can you share
the numbers?

I have not been involved with the scouting movement for about 2 years as my unit basically faded into non-existence through lack of people of the same age. In my experience it really depends on the unit itself as to whether anything is suitable. Most near me tend to focus on outdoor activities especially walking (due to geographical location near the Pennines) and so it would be a bit fruitless to target them.

--
www.tdobson.net
----