fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Any folks in Manchester interested in participat

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Any folks in Manchester interested in participating in an Ubuntu Global Jam event if I were to organise one?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:38:49 +0000

On 2013-02-20 01:46, MJ Ray wrote:
Bob Ham <address@hidden>
On 2013-02-19 13:50, MJ Ray wrote:

it's not clear who controls trisquel.  It sells some "associate
memberships" on its website which do not seem to give you membership
of the association - and the sale does not seem to reveal the full
details of the association, which I thought was required under
directive 97/7/EC.  Where is it?  Who are its members?

I don't have answers to these questions I'm afraid. There is some information about the people involved here:

  http://trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-team

If you seek more detailed answers about the organisation and its finances, the main developer is Ruben Rodriguez <address@hidden> and I'm sure he'll answer questions.

Even at a quick look, I spotted one false-positive: 9wm.

If the 9wm package is not free software then this is a bug. You can notify the Trisquel developers by filing a bug report and they will remove the package.

if a system contains hardware whose
manufacturer doesn't respect users' freedoms, should the installer
encourage users to install freedom-denying firmware?

No, which is why debian-installer doesn't encourage it.  As far as I
saw, it simply states "Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware
files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media,
such as a USB stick or floppy."

That's a fact and I don't see who it would help to conceal it.

I want a free software operating system. I do not want to be made aware of non-free software. I want my operating system to respect the boundary that exists between freedom and non-free restrictions. I do not want my computer to mention non-free software to me. I do not want my computer to spend its CPU time, hard disk space or network capacity considering the possibility that non-free software or firmware exists that could work with that computer.

Free software is, by definition, distinct from proprietary software. I do not want to suffer in the choking world of proprietary software, I want to bathe in sun of freedom. I may be aware that the choking world exists, I may even consider its existence and what to do about it but I don't want to be reminded of it and I certainly don't want an invitation to it from my operating system.

To me, a free software operating system is one whose boundaries do not cross the border between the choking world of proprietary software and the sunny world of free software. I see a free software OS's boundaries as being completely contained within the sunny world of free software. This idea is given form in the FSF's Guidelines for Free System Distributions:

  http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

This is what I want. There are others who don't want this; some want an operating system that will offer an invitation to the world of proprietary software in order to make $hardware work. Some are happy to accept that invitation.

If an installer does not offer the possibility of installing some non-free firmware, is it "concealing" that non-free firmware from the user? Or is it respecting the user's desire to not be offered an invitation to the choking world of proprietary software?

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }