fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] GNOME Release Party, Friday 23rd September @ MADLa

From: Sam Thursfield
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] GNOME Release Party, Friday 23rd September @ MADLab
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 17:09:59 +0100

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Michael Dorrington
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 19/09/16 21:33, Sam Thursfield wrote:
> It is appropriate for the list but just say what group the "we" are,
> still don't know.  Would also be nice to work with Manchester Free
> Software on this.  And would be great for GUADEC to work with Manchester
> Free Software too.
>
> https://www.gnome.org/news/2016/09/guadec-2017/

Right, I guess I should have indeed introduced myself a bit better.
I'm one of the organisers for GUADEC next year. Myself & a friend are
putting on this release party because (a) it sounds fun and (b) it
seems good to start practicing event organisation! I don't really have
a "group" that I can refer you to, however. At this point we are just
trying to find out who is interested in GNOME locally, there is no
pre-existing group entity.

Up til now I've not really been involved in Free Software events in
Manchester. I'm definitely keen to have Manchester Free Software
involved in GUADEC 2017; I guess I should come to one of your meetings
at some point and we can chat about how you can be involved?

> Facebook links aren't welcome on the list and shouldn't be part of Free
> Software projects.  It is very disappointing that GNOME project promotes
> such things, especially since they say they "promote software freedom"
> (does non-free JavaScript of Facebook not count?) and "are proud members
> of the GNU Project".

That's fair, I will not do so again.

Sam