gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Open source lisp

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Open source lisp
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:16:44 -0700

 > >    Greetings!  Other than maxima, is there any other significant
 > >    open source lisp code which provides functionality that cannot
 > >    be readily found in existing open source C code?

Common Music?  IMHO (although C is a lousy language for things like
this, so that's not surprising).  PLOB!, which, although free itself,
doesn't work with any free lisps.  PLisp (PostScript generator that
integrates PS into Lisp).

C Y writes:
 > Garnet http://garnetlisp.sf.net is also open source, and allows some
 > very interesting interface options I'm not aware of in things like GTK,
 > but as for end user applications I'm not aware of any others.

One of Garnet's down sides is that it uses its own object system,
instead of CLOS.  By the same token, one of the nicest things about it
is that it is fully integrated with a knowledge representation and
constraint maintenance system (that same object system).  I don't know
of any C systems that do the same, opens source or no.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |