gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] conditions/clos/gcl unified build patch and instruc

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] conditions/clos/gcl unified build patch and instructions.
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:40:18 +0300

Camm Maguire wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> "Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Camm Maguire wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings!  First, thanks all for the contributions!  I will commit
> > > this as soon as we get it into a rudimentary state.  Also would like
> > > feedback on its implications on image size, especially as it may
> > > affect maxima.  Should we have pcl .o files, separate from the main
> > > image, like tkl.o?
> >
> > Please don't hurry with committing. We have to sort out new
> > basic CL package and check how Maxima works with
> > renewed GCL setup.
> >

> OK
>
> > As for image it depends on what is our primary goal.
> > If we want ANSI compliance we must load PCL and CLCS
> > into GCL image.  Now some concrete figures for i586 with gcc 2.95.3
> > raw_gcl - 1912242, gcl - 3294522, gcl+pcl - 6939800,
> > gcl+pcl+clcs - 8070366.  Do we really care about image size
> > growth?  In my opinion not much. It seems to me that the only area
> > where such growth may be significant it is some handheld
> > computers.
> >

> I really need some intelligent commentary here from people wanting to
> make real use of gcl, if any.  From my own limited perspective, I
> cannot see how lisp could ever be used for anything *simple* if each
> binary will be at least 8 meg.  This would seem to limit gcl to large
> maxima-sized projects.  Not to mention using these programs in a
> multi-user environment.  It seems that lisp started out assuming that
> it was the entire OS for a single user, or something.  I've never
> understood this -- perhaps someone could enlighten me.  At very least,
> as much as possible of this image should be in a shared lib, no?

Well Common Lisp in general doesn't look like compact system -
hundreds of  bult-in functions and symbols.  Such stuff could not
have small footprint.  On the other hand it seems that now
CL is the only Lisp which (a) is standardized, (b) is alive
(many real users, vast codebase).  There were attempts to
standardize and promote other much smaller and compact
Lisps (e.g. so called Standard Lisp).  Probably in vain.

Moving large portion of the program into shared library is great
idea
bu I worry that it is far beyond our immediate goals.  Is it to
accomplish?
I really have no idea.

I think that GCL will start attracting users other than Maxima's
ones as soon as
(a) some reasonable level of ANSI CL compliance is achieved;
(b) GCL portability is improved.
So we are on the right track ;-) !

> > Presently Maxima don't use PCL and CLCS but Maxima moves
> > toward CL compliance and we may need more various standard CL
> > features for the forthcoming Maxima releases. It already started to
> > happen with recent numerical Maxima updates.
> >
> > Maybe the best way is to build full GCL with PCL, CLCS and
> > possible with other extensions by default and provide lightweight
> > old style GCL as special configure option.
> >

> This sounds good.
>

> > Yes all this package rearrangement must be done right before image is saved
> > or earlier.
> >

> Better than autoloading as needed at runtime?

Please forgive my ignorance but does GCL have any autoloding
machinery already?  I mean that some portion of code foo resides
in
extrenal *.o file which is automatically loaded only when
we call (foo ...).

      <address@hidden>
    <address@hidden>
     <address@hidden>