gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL + xemacs + ilisp-5.12.0

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL + xemacs + ilisp-5.12.0
Date: 10 Jun 2002 18:01:45 -0400

Greetings!

Gregory Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> gcl (either 2.5.0 or 2.4.3) fails when used under xemacs (or emacs for
> that matter) when used with the ilisp-5.12.0 package. SBCL, cmucl, clisp
> are all OK. I had hoped that the bug was in the loop macro (as mentioned
> by Vadim Z.) but switching to loop2 doesn't help.

Well, I've confirmed strange behavior with ilisp 5.11 in emacs and
xemacs under Debian.  But I really don't know how to use ilisp.  What
I see is no response on entering (+ 2 3).  No cpu time used at all.
I'd guess a misdefinition of the gcl dialect somewhere in the
ilisp.el files, but I really don't have the expertise to quickly
confirm this.  Have you asked at the ilisp devel site?

> The principal symptom of the failure under xemacs is a hang with cpu
> usage going to 90%. Emacs segfaults when ilisp is starting gcl as an
> inferior lisp.
>
> Methinks this is because ilisp is stressing the ANSI-ness of gcl. How
> should I begin to track down? Any pointers would be apprecaited.

I don't know what you are doing (i.e. entering/evaluating) to get this
cpu usage, but if your results are exhibited like mine on immediate
startup of gcl, I doubt it has much to do with ansi compliance.  It
could be the defpackage, which I know ilisp uses, and which we've done
some work on recently in adding it.  But you'd at least see different
behavior with 2.4.3, where defpackage isn't installed.

> To briefly revisit an older topic---what projects depend on gcl---I want
> to second the note that pointed out that ACL2 depends on gcl. It's my
> main interest in lisp, and it only builds out of the box with gcl. CMUcl
> and clisp are supposed to work, but don't on ACL2.6 with recent versions
> of CMUcl or clisp (RH6.2 linux).

Thanks for this tip!  Now we have two open source reasons for gcl to
exist! :-).  I've looked at the acl2 web page briefly, and it looks
quite complex.  I haven't yet gone through the tour on the website.
Anyone find this useful in day to day work, as apart from theoretical
studies in computational logic?

Take care,