gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.5.0

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.5.0
Date: 13 Nov 2002 13:53:39 -0500

Greetings!

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> This is great!  Thanks, Gordon and Camm.  I expect that we will distribute a
> Solaris/GCL-2.5.0 ACL2 saved image with ACL2.
>
> I notice that the image size has gone up considerably using 2.5.0 instead of
> 2.3.8, even though both were built the same way:
>
> -rwxrwxr-x    1 kaufmann acl2     18818816 Nov  7 04:06 gcl-osaved_acl2
> -rwxrwxr-x    1 kaufmann acl2     28360331 Nov 11 22:54 gcl-saved_acl2

I have unfortunately no immediate idea, but would be interested if
anyone can shed light or track it down.  I joined the gcl fan club at
2.4.0.  It is possible that the newer bfd relocation method is
somewhat to blame, though I have not noticed this elsewhere.  One
could test by rebuilding gcl with --disable-statsysbfd
--enable-custreloc to regain the old relocation code (which works
*only* on sparc and x86, hence the bfd alternative).

Take care,