gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl compilation report (redhat 7.3, gcc 3.2, gcl 2.4

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl compilation report (redhat 7.3, gcc 3.2, gcl 2.4.3)
Date: 13 Nov 2002 14:41:53 -0500

Greetings, and thanks for your feedback!

Dan Hitt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm,
>
> Suppose that i've unpacked the distribution and it is in
>     /home/lisp/gcl-2.4.3
> Then i do this:
>     mkdir /home/lisp/build
>     cd /home/lisp/build
>     ../gcl-2.4.3/configure   <<<configure arguments . . .>>>
> The configure script will work, or, at least, write some files and then
> exit with 0 status.
>
> But when i type
>     make
> in the /home/lisp/build directory, the build will fail.
>
> However, if i instead do
>     cd /home/lisp/gcl-2.4.3
>     ./configure <<<configure arguments . . .>>>
>     make
> the build will work.

This is new to me!  How is this accomplished in gcc?  Can autoconf
generated configure scripts be setup to do this automatically?

> > > (3) The --prefix option to configure indeed makes the binaries and
> > >     lib go to the right place, but the info and emacs files do
> > >     not follow.  I hand-edited makedefs and makedefc to force
> > >     the info to go in a subdirectory of the prefix directory.
> >

> > Can you provide some specifics as to where configure decided to place
> > these on your box, and where you would like them to go?  Also what
> > machine you are using?  The Linux file system standard specifies that
> > non-machine code like these files must be located separately from the
> > binaries, so that /usr/share can be NFS mounted.
>
> First, i think that you're doing the right thing by trying to follow
> the Linux file system standard, and i think the default behavior that
> you have chosen makes the most sense.
>
> My problem is a customization one, and is of course not as important
> as selecting the best defaults, which you have done.

OK, agreed.  --enable-info=... dir already exists as an option to
configure, I'm adding --enable-emacsdir=... now.

> Thanks again for your work on gcl 2.4.3, and although i think
> that gcl could be improved by tuning the configure a little more
> to better enable multiple lisp installations, i really appreciate
> the work you have done.  It is really a service for anybody who
> wants to use lisp.

And thank you for your feedback and appreciation!

Take care,