gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: (Summary view of above)

From: Dennis Decker Jensen
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: (Summary view of above)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:41:57 +0000

        > On startup GCL will run `init.lsp' if there is one.

        Umm, should this be in $HOME/?  Have I missed this in
        the docs?

Yes, in $HOME.  See info-page gcl-si and look under
`Miscellaneous', `Inititialization'; check also *TOP-LEVEL-HOOL*.

        I've got dbl.el for my EMacs - is that dbl-mode you
        are referring to?

Yes. I learned Common Lisp first, so I've had a hard time
trying to bend my head backwards when learning ELisp from
intros and reference.  I haven't been able to decipher excactly
what dbl-mode with the supporting modes does, so I have gave
up, mostly due to lack of time.  I'm not a very experienced
programmer either when regarding innerworkings of subprocesses
in Emacs.

        I haven't a clue as to how to use it at present, since
        the comments in the file didn't mean a whole lot to
        me, and I haven't really needed such a thing yet.
        I'd appreciate any links/docs you can point me at,
        though - I expect to need it C-level debugging in the
        near future.

I don't know of any links/docs but the code itself.

        Part of my 'road to lisp' was elisp in Emacs, and though
        I'm not anywhere near what I'd call proficient in any
        lisp at present, I am doing what I can to change that.
        That said, I'd be happy to do whatever I can in support
        of the GCL effort, albeit at this point it would probably
        have to be something in an admin/support role.

On the other hand, Camm didn't know any Lisp until he started maintaining
GCL!  I myself are currently studying classical greek and latin,
and the studies don't really leave time for serious involvement.  I hope
to find a time gap (big enough) sometime to help out too.

There is a `This project is looking for people' on
 http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl, but Camm has also
on more than a couple of occasions asked for help with updating
the webpage, the documentation, dealing with "high-level"
stuff, so that he himself can focus on the low-level issues.
I'm sure Camm will have a suggestion or two.

        > Good judgement comes from experience.
        > Experience comes from bad judgement.
        >  -- The Murphy's Law Calendar, ~1987

        I like your .sig!  We seem to have gotten it from different sources,
        though.  (And it was time for me to change mone, anyway. :-D)

I saw yours and put it in, when I reckognized it.  I don't know
wheither Murphy is the original source -- especially now when
you mention Jim Horning.  Google confirms both as a source.

Dennis Decker Jensen

"The intellectual level needed for system design
is in general grossly underestimated. I am convinced
more than ever that this type of work is very
difficult and that every effort to do it with
other than the best people is doomed to either
failure or moderate success at enormouse expense."
 -- Edsger Dijkstra