gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Cygwin

From: Jim Babcock
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Cygwin
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:45:54 -0400

Mike Thomas wrote:
Jim Babcock wrote:
Most Windows programs work fine without this; gcl is the only one
I've seen which didn't see the paths pre-converted.

Must be a problem with your Cygwin setup.  For example, on mine:

$ /C/cvs/stable/gcl-2.6.1/unixport/saved_gcl.exe
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.1 CLtL1   May 27 2004 13:30:35
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
Binary License:  LGPL
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

Running ${gcldir}/bin/gcl yields the output I mentioned above. Running saved_gcl directly seems to work.

One interesting observation. If I run GCL no a local console, I get Windows-style console input (no ^U, overwrite mode, command history doesn't let you go back to a blank line.) If I run it through ssh, ^U works but arrow keys are not interpretted at all. Neither makes for a usable interactive mode.

But all that aside, gcl doesn't do what I *really* want which is run non-interactively. All I want in a lisp implementation is a compiler that acts like cc and produces either object or C files. Gcl recognizes just about nothing passed on the command line, not even -h or -v, and it always starts interactively.

Tried it, and the amount of spam in the output was simply rediculous.

I haven't noticed any spam in either CLISP or Corman.  I believe that the
beautiful candelabra motif in CLISP can be turned off with a system variable
in the CLISP initialisation file.

Plus it doesn't make native binaries.

Corman does, and a lot more besides.

Unfortunately, it is not suitable for working on Free projects, as any
other developers who wanted to contribute would have to buy a license.
Besides which, I'm extremely wary of closed-source development tools; I
have yet to use a C compiler without running onto at least one compiler
bug which I had to find myself.