gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: problem with gcl-2.7.0-t2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: problem with gcl-2.7.0-t2
Date: 07 Jul 2005 09:41:05 -0400

Greetings!

Just a quick note that I can confirm this problem -- introduced when
we allowed passing of unboxed bignum GMP objects as function
parameters.  While this could allow for future optimizations involving
direct gmp calls from compiled code, I think the gains likely minor
unless others express such a need.  So I plan on disabling GEN args as
function parameters.  But in case we ever reallow them, I plan on
inserting a little C code to copy any unboxed bignums found in the
function parameter list to the local stack.  The GCL model assumes
that all function parameters are local copies (pass by value) on the
stack so it can write tail recursion without consuming any extra
memory by simply reassigning the variables.  I might have a fix by
day's end for both.  In the meantime, you can increase the safety
level of the compile for these functions (from the default of 0) until
this problem goes away.  One can locally declare the optimization
level in the function body.

Take care,