gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] binutils subtree removed

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] binutils subtree removed
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 15:30:29 -0400

Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> One question: does compiler::*default-system-p* still control whether
> the built GCL uses a copy of its C header file from its image or from
> its system directory?  It is extremely convenient to be able to use GCL,
> `built on the fly as part of building AXIOM' without having to install it
> permanently on the target system.

Indeed, I think the typical usage for distros is to maximize
modularization, and for 'build it yourselfers', to maximize
convenience.  Its not a bad compromise to support both in many cases.
And in the modern era, there are far fewer pure lisp enthusiasts than
parties interested in a good CAS.

I've removed the binutils subdir, as there are no machines now where
it is needed.  Native object location is ubiquitous save for the
following linux systems, still using dlopen:

ia64
hppa
arm (thumb) (i.e. Ubuntu, not Debian)
ppc64 (no known distro)

Building with an external bfd library is still supported.  The default
configure option has been moved to custreloc.

(To recap for those who might have missed earlier discussions, I had
thought that bfd would eventually allow gcl to offload the difficult
code relocation part in a portable manner.  In following the
development for many years, this never panned out.  I've managed to
implement what we need myself in a few weeks.  Live and learn.)

But this leaves the question of the gmp4 directory.  Tim once told me
he would have to include it if I removed it, for the convenience
reasons you mention above.  I'm not really sure what I think here.  A
lisp system must implement mp, so it is not illogical for its source
to include this code somewhere.  The older, no longer supported mp
files are still present.  But it is a separate project, and a hassle
to keep current.

My current suggestion is to leave it in at least for 2.6.8.

Take care,