gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] win64

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] win64
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:11:56 -0800

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
Greetings!  If we are going to use mingw64, with a 32bit long, is there
any objection to having a 32bit fixnum?

some comments:

  (1) the gcc driver on mingw64 is actually a cross-compiler (works very well) capable of generating 32-bit and 64-bit codes.
  (2) intptr_t is currently 64-bit on mingw64.  Would it make sense to have more than 32-bit fixnum?
  (3) mingw64 has large file capability; I was under the impression that would force a 64-bit fixnum.  Is that true?

Windows 64-bit (the default these days) is an LLP64 platform; I would be go for the sized integer types notation to avoid surprises when porting....

Take care,

--
Camm Maguire                                        address@hidden