gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Package ansification in upcoming GCL 2.6.13

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Package ansification in upcoming GCL 2.6.13
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:17:46 -0700

    Camm> Greetings!  It is my intention to have the next GCL release, hopefully
    Camm> in about a month, have a fully compliant :cl package, e.g. with only
the
    Camm> standard symbols exported.  There will be a :cltl1-compat package with
    Camm> the older CLtL1 symbols which may be used.  I am also thinking it wise
    Camm> to export some useful symbols from :cl-user, like si::bye, si::quit,
    Camm> si::clines, si::defentry, and si::system.  It is not clear whether
this
    Camm> will reduce the compatibility changes requried in maxima, as I don't
    Camm> think these functions are called in an environment using :cl-user.

Really great news!  So we can depend on the CL package containing all
of the expected symbols?

Will it also signal exceptions better?  I vaguely remember some maxima
code that has special cases for gcl because gcl wasn't signaling
arithmetic exceptions in the expected way that other lisps were doing.
(That's really vague. If you do expect exceptions to work better, I'll
try to find the specific instances.)

--
Ray