gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] unable to set up the help system

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] unable to set up the help system
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:19:44 -0400

Robert Dodier <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-10-11, Volker van Nek <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> address@hidden:~/Maxima/git/151011$ rmaxima
>> Warning: SIMPLE-WARNING: Maxima is unable to set up the help system.
>> (Details: CL-INFO::LOAD-PRIMARY-INDEX: Condition in
>> CL-INFO::LOAD-PRIMARY-INDEX [or a callee]: INTERNAL-SIMPLE-ERROR: Cannot
>> find the external symbol *LOAD-PATHNAME* in #<"SYSTEM" package>.)
>>
>> Maxima 5.37post http://maxima.sourceforge.net
>> using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.12
>
> Well, maxima-index.lisp refers to *LOAD-PATHNAME* which is in package
> :common-lisp in other implementations, but in at least one
> version of GCL it was in the package :system. My first guess is that it
> has been moved into another package. Maybe it is now in :common-lisp so
> we can omit the #+gcl in maxima-index.lisp?

Yes, in the 2.6.13pre test version Volker is using from debian sid, all
symbols should be in the proper packages per the common lisp standard.
If you ever need to conditionalize this, it should be off of minor
version >= 6.13.  I agree its best to wait until release before messing
with the current #+gcl code, which after this release should be much
smaller.

Take care,