gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL as gcc front end?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL as gcc front end?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 15:07:49 -0500

Greetings, and thanks for your interest!

There really is very little standing in the way of such a project but
time and other relative priorities.  Ansi support/compliance,
performance, and bit rot maintenance have always been higher in the
queue.  But the closeness of lisp and C in the current compiler means
almost all of the heavy work has already been done.  A nice tutorial on
gcc's internal interface, which is basically also lisp as I understand
it, would be helpful.

Such a project could pay dividends beyond aesthetics -- GCL does pay a
performance penalty for firing up the whole gcc tree over and over again
for jobs that are essentially incremental compiles.  While our runtime
is very competitive, our compile time is among the slowest.

While I have not followed the matter extensively, I have this vague
sense that other front end projects have not fared so well, nor stood
the test of time.  True?  If so, does this merely reflect the paucity of
developers familiar with the gcc interface?

Take care,