gcl-devel

Re: GCL Version_2_6_13pre125

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: GCL Version_2_6_13pre125
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 14:06:29 -0800

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 12:59 PM Camm Maguire <camm@maguirefamily.org> wrote:

> The NaN report gives false now as you note,
> 2.0^1024.1 still gives the inf for testing purposes.  I think the false
> is in simp-expt in maxima, but haven't got further.  Most of his results
> had been fixed some time ago.

What? I don't understand. The false in SIMP-EXPT ... I don't
understand what you mean. Also I'm not sure who "he" is, in reference
to "his results".

> The dribble error only omits error header output (which is sent to a
> different file
> descriptor) -- all newlines are identical addressing the original
> complaint.  I can get the error header in there too if this is
> important.

No, not important. It's likely that dribble is very rarely used, and
the defect is minor.

> >(setq b (- a) c (- a a))
> #<-nan>

Minor wart here -- should be #<nan>, NaN doesn't have a sign.

> >(dolist (l '(< <= = >= > /=)) (print (list (funcall l c c) (funcall (compile
> >nil `(lambda (x y) (declare (long-float x y)) (,l x y))) c c))))

Looking over the results of float comparisons, looks right to me.

best,

Robert

PS. I successfully built Version-2_6_13pre124 from a tarball on an
ancient Ubuntu system (32 bit x86, gcc 4.8.4 iirc), it builds Maxima
successfully, run_testsuite reports, I think, the same failures and
unexpected successes as others have reported.