gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Need help on Ubuntu 20.04

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Need help on Ubuntu 20.04
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 20:56:26 +0100

Hi Greg,

Am Sun, 7 Mar 2021 12:43:44 -0500 schrieb Greg:

> Hi,
>
>        I recently compiled and installed Gnome-commander 1.10.3 on
> Ubuntu 20.04.. Everything went well,except for when I try to add my
> devices to GC the program crashes to the desktop with a segfault. I have
> been struggling with this off and on for a week.
>
> Here is a copy and paste from the kern.log:
>
> [...]
>
> This way above my skill level. Is there any way to get this to work? Has
> anyone else ran into this problem and managed to figure it out??

Mounting devices with GnomeCommaner is not stable at the moment on
recent Linux distributions. The reason is that this happens using the
library Gnome-VFS. The library is outdated and the Gnome-VFS deamon is
not started/running anymore on the background. That's why you see a
number of error messages related to Gnome-VFS in the output.

The only workaround I know of at the moment is to use another program
for mounting devices and creating a bookmark to them, so that you can
quickly jump to the directory (e.g. /run/media).

Maybe others here have some hints how to use some scripts from within
the devices for mounting devices, but this is beyond my skills as well.
;-)

Best
Uwe