ghm-discuss

[Ghm-discuss] Hackers educational system

From: Ilya Vasilyev
Subject: [Ghm-discuss] Hackers educational system
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:40:09 +0400

Hello, GNU Hackers Meeting.

I will be happy to present on GHM in Paris the original hackers educational
system, called Civil Hackers' School, that I opened in Moscow at December 1996
by request of two teenagers, who asked me to teach them computer hacking.

As for now, I need a sponsor for travelling to Paris and making visa.  I will
contact some people locally.  May be, I can find someone later in August,
during my visit to California.  But the best is if people from France or FSF
itself volunteer to sponsor my visit and continue to invest into hackers
education for Paris citizens after I return to Moscow.

I made presentation of Civil Hackers' School at hackers gathering SPRYG-2k in
Moscow, Russia at May 2000.  At Chaos Communication Camp in Germany at August
2007.  At the closed computer security convention in Las Vegas at August 2008.
As a public event in NoiseBridge, San Francisco at August 2009.  2013 could be
a good time for France.

The basic idea is to support groups of citizens in different cities and
countries, who have interest in computers.  Hackers and wannabes will
physically hang together to study and experiment with computers, showing their
progress on public Attestations.  This is the same educational framework, as
one can see in existing martial art schools: aikido, karate-do, wushu,
Taekwondo, etc.  Some students proved to keep focus on computer security, while
others enjoy creativity and sharing.  The most successful share knowledge with
younger and later consider teacher position themselves.

Technical skills are developed at the same time, as student study hacker
ethics, free software philosophy, history of computer hacking, etc.  From 1997
to 2010 I taught students within Russian government educational system (Moscow
City Pioneer Palace) -- not only using GNU and free software tools (Free
Pascal, GCC, GIMP, etc.), but showing to teenagers that technical superiority
of those tools came from correct ethical choice of their programmers.  Since
2010 I dive deeper into ancient Zen educational system, not widely known on the
West, and mostly concentrate on private education.

This is just an overview, let me save details for the Meeting itself.

-- -- --
Ilya V. Vasilyev, +7 916 258-0286
Civil Hackers' School
Moscow, Russia