gksu-devel

Re: gksu 1.1.0, new API

From: Allan Douglas
Subject: Re: gksu 1.1.0, new API
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 02:19:32 -0200

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:46:35 -0200
Gustavo Noronha Silva <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would very much like comments. The gksu demo-and-command-line-
> frontend-to-the-library-hey-ho app is already ported. The only serious
> caveat in the implementation now is that libgksu does *not* init the
> gtk library anywhere yet.

Gksu should have a gksu_init_display function. The user software doesn't need
to depend on gtk or library other than gksu.

> It used to do so through gksu_init, but now I want to do it when the
> user actually runs something. This has to be seen, yet, and I believe
> the library will have to do many tries to do that -- maybe one
> gtk_check_init in each of: gksu_context_new, gksu_ask_password,
> gksu_run and gksu_sudo_run.... that seems to be sucky, what do
> you think?

The developer should call gksu_init_display where he feels happy. Did gksu 1.0
used to check if gksu_init was called before execing something? No. Does gksu >
1.0 should check if the display is initialized? No.

> Also, how should sudo be handled? Is the current way nice IYO? =P
D=

> Following, the current API and, at the end, the current TODO:
>
> This is the new API:
(...)

Nice. You'll probably get some problems with the python wrapper. But nothing
hard to fix...

[]'s