Re: [Gluster-devel] NFS reexport works, still stat-prefetch issues, -s p

From: Brent A Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] NFS reexport works, still stat-prefetch issues, -s problem
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:36:24 -0400 (EDT)

It looks like the glusterfs crash in the slow NFS-client case may be caused by read-ahead.

I was able to get this backtrace:
#0  0xb756246d in ra_frame_return ()
   from /usr/lib/glusterfs/1.3.0-pre3/xlator/performance/read-ahead.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb756246d in ra_frame_return ()
   from /usr/lib/glusterfs/1.3.0-pre3/xlator/performance/read-ahead.so
#1  0xb7562587 in ra_page_error ()
   from /usr/lib/glusterfs/1.3.0-pre3/xlator/performance/read-ahead.so
#2  0xb7562cf0 in ?? ()
   from /usr/lib/glusterfs/1.3.0-pre3/xlator/performance/read-ahead.so
#3  0x12b66f20 in ?? ()
#4  0xffffffff in ?? ()
#5  0x0000004d in ?? ()
#6  0x00000020 in ?? ()
#7  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Removing read-ahead from my config, I was able to do my 10GB file copy without a crash. A bonus was that my copy was much faster without read-ahead (3.7MBps vs. 2.2MBps), although I suspect that's why the copy actually completed successfully.

Even without read-ahead, I still get a very large glusterfs process, so it appears that read-ahead is not the memory leak culprit.

If I also remove write-behind (making the copy horribly slow), my copy still fails eventually, but glusterfs doesn't crash and the filesystem is still available. Errors logged:

[May 10 18:14:18] [ERROR/common-utils.c:55/full_rw()] libglusterfs:full_rw: 0 bytes r/w instead of 113 (errno=115) [May 10 18:14:18] [CRITICAL/tcp.c:81/tcp_disconnect()] transport/tcp:share4-1: connection to server disconnected [May 10 18:14:18] [CRITICAL/client-protocol.c:218/call_bail()] client/protocol:bailing transport [May 10 18:14:18] [ERROR/common-utils.c:55/full_rw()] libglusterfs:full_rw: 0 bytes r/w instead of 113 (errno=9) [May 10 18:14:18] [CRITICAL/tcp.c:81/tcp_disconnect()] transport/tcp:share4-0: connection to server disconnected [May 10 18:14:18] [ERROR/client-protocol.c:204/client_protocol_xfer()] protocol/client:transport_submit failed [May 10 18:14:18] [ERROR/client-protocol.c:204/client_protocol_xfer()] protocol/client:transport_submit failed [May 10 18:14:19] [CRITICAL/client-protocol.c:218/call_bail()] client/protocol:bailing transport [May 10 18:14:19] [ERROR/common-utils.c:55/full_rw()] libglusterfs:full_rw: 0 bytes r/w instead of 113 (errno=115) [May 10 18:14:19] [CRITICAL/tcp.c:81/tcp_disconnect()] transport/tcp:share4-0: connection to server disconnected [May 10 18:14:19] [ERROR/client-protocol.c:204/client_protocol_xfer()] protocol/client:transport_submit failed

I've seen the "0 bytes r/w instead of 113" message plenty of times in the past (with older GlusterFS versions), although it was apparently harmless before. It looks like the code now considers this to be a disconnection and tries to reconnect. For some reason, when it does manage to reconnect, it nevertheless results in an I/O error. I wonder if this relates to a previous issue I mentioned with real disconnects (node dies or glusterfsd is restarted), where the first access after a failure (at least for ls or df) results in an error, but the next attempt succeeds? Seems like an issue with the reconnection logic (and some sort of glitch masquerading as a disconnect in the first place)... This is probably the real problem that is triggering the read-ahead crash (i.e., the read-ahead crash would not be triggered in my test case if it weren't for this issue).

Finally, glusterfs still grows even in this case, so that would leave afr, unify, protocol/client, or glusterfs itself as possible leakers.

Thanks,

Brent