Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR between two bricks over 3000 miles

From: Onyx
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR between two bricks over 3000 miles
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:34:58 +0200

Wouldn't a fairly easy solution for slow- and high latency links be to have a large cache on a local filesystem? Like there is now a cache in memory, make a cache definable on the local system/site?

Anand Avati wrote:
Bandwidth is so cost effective now days I am not worried about slow links.
I can't however with any amount of money speed up the speed of light in a
glass fiber. : ) I understand their is not immediate fix, however do you
have any rough estimates? Are we talking weeks, months or years?

AFR currently takes a 'synchronous' approach over its subvolumes.. i.e.
completes operations over all its subvolumes before returning. Essentially
it works as fast as the slowest subvolume. Changing this to work as fast as
the 'fastest subvolume' needs some major changes (handling some race
conditions) which are too disruptive to be introduced in 1.3.8. We are
considering bringing this 'optimistic' behaviour (as opposed to the current
'pessimistic' one) for 1.4. That is about 2 months away.

avati