Re: [Gluster-devel] volume stanzas for non-existent directories in serve

From: Amar S. Tumballi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] volume stanzas for non-existent directories in server volume specification
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 13:13:30 -0700

> volume unify
>        type cluster/unify
>        option scheduler rr
>        option namespace remote-ns
>        subvolumes remote-a remote-b* remote-ns*
> end-volume

'remote-ns' is not a subvolume. its just a namespace option for unify.

> -----
> Note: it is assumed that host-a:/data/a, host-b:/data/b,
> host-ns:/data/ns exist.

Yes, if they don't exists, you can see that in the log messages.

> Q. Does gluster have a problem with server spec volumes which do
> not exist on a given host? From the "Aggregating Three Storage
> Servers with Unify" example is does not seem like it would, since
> the namespace volume is _not_ on all nodes.

I didn't understand this question.

> Q. How do the gluster servers know which directories to "export"
> from each host? Is it based on requests from the client? I.e., The
> server does not care until/unless a client asks?

*volume a*
       type storage/posix
      * option directory /data/a*
end-volume
Here you say which directory to export, and

volume remote-a
       type protocol/client
       option transport-type tcp/client
       option remote-host host-a
       *option remote-subvolume a
* end-volume
Here you say which remote subvolume to connect to.

Amar Tumballi
Gluster/GlusterFS Hacker
[bulde on #gluster/irc.gnu.org]
http://www.zresearch.com - Commoditizing Super Storage!