Re: [Gluster-devel] volume stanzas for non-existent directories in serve

From: John Marshall
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] volume stanzas for non-existent directories in server volume specification
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 22:06:04 +0000

Brandon Lamb wrote:
Basically when glusterfs parses the spec file there would have to be a
way for it to know that a volume specification was for *itself* and if
not (ie it was defining a volume for another server) it would ignore
the volume.
Right. That's why I asked about an "option hosts".
Pros and cons to this I guess, a pro is definately a single config to
edit and copy for all servers. Howerver, I believe this would lead to
a possibly huge and confusing (hence more room for error)
configuration file as you would have ALL definitions for all servers
in the file rather than *only* what it needs.

For me, this actually brings up the question of the usefulness of having
two spec files: server and client. It may simplify some things, but, from
what I can tell, the server part is usually quite small. Wrt to the "what
host do I contact", this information is actually in the client spec so an
integration of the two could be useful (at least in the way I am seeing
things).

Amar Tumballi wrote:
   if you want to do that, you can use the server spec file you sent in the
first mail , on all the servers. It will create those directories, but the
   volume is not used at all (if not linked by the client protocol). Its
   possible with current code base itself.

That is helpful. Thanks.

Thanks,
John