Re: [Gluster-devel] glusterfs with vservers

From: Martin Fick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] glusterfs with vservers
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:08:21 -0800 (PST)

--- On Fri, 11/21/08, Dan Parsons <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think you're probably already aware of this, and
> I'm not sure it's the cause of your problem, but
> I'd like to chime in and say that networking between VMs
> and the host that runs the VM can sometimes be very tricky
> in non-obvious ways.

Sure, you are correct, it can be tricky.  And with
linux vservers, which are not actually VMs, they
are simply a containerization technique, the
networking simply uses IP aliases.  Each guest
gets an IP alias and using a new system call
chbind(), is bound to that IP and cannot access
the other IPs of the host.  The host, however
I believe sees all.  This is not virtualiztion
per say and so might be different from what one
expects, especially when it comes to the loopback
device, but I do not think the lo device is
involved here, could it be?

-Martin