[Gluster-devel] What IS DHT?

From: Brandon Lamb
Subject: [Gluster-devel] What IS DHT?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:00:54 -0800

Hello,

I cant seem to find (searching mailing list and wiki) what DHT is? I
come up with some references to it in the mailing list but no
documentation on what it is or does really.

Also, second question, current state of AFR? Should performance/speed
be up to par yet or is that still being worked on?

I setup a working 4-node AFR (2 server, 2 client), and while trying to
untar linux-source-2.6.26.tar I finally gave up waiting after 10
minutes using gluster/afr where nfs finished in 2m54.843s.

Doing a du -hs every roughly 1 second on the linux-source-2.6.26 it
looks like it is writing at about 200k/second or so, compared to 4-10
megs over nfs.

Can anyone suggest some better options for my configs? Am I doing
something whacky?

-------
server
-------
volume brick
        type storage/posix
        option directory /mnt/gfs-export
        option o-direct on
end-volume

volume locks
        type features/posix-locks
        subvolumes brick
end-volume

volume io-threads
        type performance/io-threads
        subvolumes locks
        option thread-count 2
        option cache-size 32MB
end-volume

volume server
        type protocol/server
        subvolumes io-threads
        option transport-type tcp/server
        option auth.addr.io-threads.allow 192.168.5*
end-volume

-------
client
-------
volume brick1
        type protocol/client
        option transport-type tcp/client # for TCP/IP transport
        option remote-host 192.168.5.53
        option remote-subvolume io-threads # name of the remote volume
end-volume

volume brick2
        type protocol/client
        option transport-type tcp/client # for TCP/IP transport
        option remote-host 192.168.5.54
        option remote-subvolume io-threads # name of the remote volume
end-volume

volume afr1
    type cluster/afr
    subvolumes brick1 brick2