Re: [Gluster-devel] Architecture advice

From: Daniel Maher
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Architecture advice
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:52:00 +0100

Krishna Srinivas wrote:

Daniel,
Imagine 2 servers afred with each other. On the client side you
configure HA translator with its subvols as the afrs on the two
servers. (Previously we used DNS round robin system) If 1st server
goes down, the HA translator will continue working with the second afr
and this failover happens seamlessly.
If server1 goes down, the HA will continue operating using its
connection with AFR2.

Was this clear?

Very clear, thank you. :)

I am curious to know how the client decides which of the subvols to use at any given time, and if there is a way to specify a "preferred" subvol. For example, i have two servers AFR'ing each other. I have two clients set up to access the AFR cluster via HA. For reasons of resource distribution, i would like Client01 to prefer to use Server01, and Client02 to prefer to use Server02.

I took a peek through the (rc3) code for HA translator, but i didn't see any GF_OPTION_* declarations. Likewise, the Translators_options page on the Wiki doesn't contain anything for HA.

Is this possible ?

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>