[Gluster-devel] RPM / BerkeleyDB on GlusterFS

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: [Gluster-devel] RPM / BerkeleyDB on GlusterFS
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 02:21:27 +0000

Hi,

I'm working on a root-on-glusterfs system and I have almost all of it working now, but one things that seems to be having problems is RPM (Berkeley DB). When I attempt to access/query the database that is on glusterfs, I get the following error:

rpmdb: mmap: No such device
error: db4 error(19) from dbenv->open: No such device
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such device (19)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

From the error, it looks like it is having a problem with mmap (or lack thereof). Presumably, it wants writable mmap.

So:

1) Is there writable mmap support anywhere on the horizon for GlusterFS?
2) Does anyone know if there is a way to make the RPM DB work without mmap?

The only other workaround I can think of that could be applied (I am only interested in AFR/mirroring) would be to set up DRBD+GFS just for replicating the RPM DB, but that's a bit lame, because the main reason for using GlusterFS for a shared-root environment is specifically to avoid having to use a block level mirroring solution like DRBD+GFS.

Has anyone got any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Gordan