Re: [Gluster-devel] CLIENT_PORT_CIELING (sic)

From: Geoff Kassel
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] CLIENT_PORT_CIELING (sic)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:15:34 +1100

Hi Raghavendra,
   I'm using just 4 protocol/client translators across two servers. I found
after posting my first message why it was starting so many client
connections - there was an error in the name of remote brick a client was
trying to access, causing it to keep trying to connect over and over again.
(And hence take privileged port after privileged port.)

   But my main point about port usage still remains.

   I'm aware that GlusterFS doesn't bind to ports already in use - that's not
the problem. The problem is that it uses ports that should be reserved for
other services, and there's not a lot of room for newer applications to start
taking privileged port numbers at random.

   The services I'm using depend on GlusterFS - meaning these services can
only be successfully started after GlusterFS starts. Hence those ports are
not in use when GlusterFS starts. GlusterFS takes them for its own - without
regard for previous IANA assignment - which is not desirable behaviour, as
this stops these other services from being able to start.

   Also, it seems that any form of authentication over a TCP socket triggers
this issue - I've tried authentication by password (because the documentation
strongly implied that this would not force the use of privileged ports) and
it still demonstrated this port usage pattern. (I later had to modify
PRIVILAGED_PORT_CIELING - also misspelled - to get a client connecting to a
server from a non-privileged port, by the way.)

   I can post the erroneous configuration that triggered the many connection
attempts, if you like - or the working version. (Working after a fashion, as
it had problems which caused me to revert to a more stable configuration, but
I'll get into that later.) Which would you prefer?

Kind regards,

Geoff Kassel.