[Gluster-devel] Change Ied46657b: Add OCF compliant resource agents for

From: Florian Haas
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Change Ied46657b: Add OCF compliant resource agents for glusterd and volumes
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:10:30 +0200

Hi everyone,

let me share a few thoughts on something I discussed with some of you
on IRC (johnmark and jdarcy, iirc) a while back, and only now got to
fix up in a submittable shape. review.gluster.com/3043 has all the
gory details.

What we talked about several weeks ago was that there was really no
way to automatically recover glusterfsd daemons when they failed, and
that upstart and systemd integration hadn't been tackled yet. Of
course, as it turns out we have a distributed monitoring and
auto-recovery facility in the Pacemaker cluster resource manager
(ubiquitous on any platform except RHEL, and even that is set to
change for RHEL 7). So I decided to whip up a couple of resource
agents (RAs) to plug into Pacemaker, which I'm humbly submitting for
upstream inclusion.

This would allow people to run GlusterFS services in a highly
available fashion, and also make use of Pacemaker's dependency
enforcement and monitoring facilities. It would make it easy, for
example, for people to mount and monitor the availability of a
filesystem that's being exported as a GlusterFS brick, and gracefully
remove or recover the node in case its local I/O stack is acting up --
so clients can continue to talk to a different replica that is still
doing fine. It would also allow people to build inter-dependencies in
Pacemaker clusters, integrate load balancing with ldirectord, manage
IP addresses, and lots of other things.

All feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Florian