Re: [Gluster-devel] Glusterd: A New Hope

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Glusterd: A New Hope
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:55:47 +0100

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:44:06 -0400
Jeff Darcy <address@hidden> wrote:

> The trend is for distributed systems to become more autonomous, not less so.

Well, the M*soft trend once was to tell people that their servers can be
administered by the secretary. I guess you can imagine yourself how successful
that was.
With auto-distribution of fs-configs you try to help "administrators" that
should really never have been that. And still you leave them alone on the most
important question: the performance tuning. We all know that glusterfs can be
unbelievably slow if you tuned the wrong switches. And really, finding the
right ones is very hard, even for very experienced administrators.
So instead of becoming "autonomous" (i.e. never be successful, I mean you just
said you cannot solve this by yourself and want to drop it on external
know-how) it would be a lot better to make some tuning-tool that analyses a
situation and gives hints how performance can be optimized - but not tuning it
by itself of course.

Stephan