Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] GlusterFS and optimization of locali

From: Vlad
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] GlusterFS and optimization of locality.
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 10:54:26 -0400

On Apr 3, 2013, at 5:42 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:

> The flippant answer would be to move the computation to the data instead
> of vice versa, like Hadoop is designed to do.  ;)

This promise of being able to move the computation to the data was one of the
reasons for my recommending glusterfs as the distributed fs for an in-house HPC
cluster. However, since the necessary xattr's (which is how you figure out
where the file "has landed") are privileged they can't be read by non-root
users. Is there a solution to this or an alternative that you can offer?

Thank you,
Vlad