Re: [Gluster-devel] libgfapi threads

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] libgfapi threads
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:38:37 -0800

Thread count is independent of number of servers. The number of sockets/connections is a function of number of servers/bricks. There are a minimum number of threads (like the timer threads, syncop exec threads, io-threads, epoll thread, depending on interconnect RDMA event reaping threads) and some of them (syncop and io-thread) count are dependent on the work load. All communication with servers is completely asynchronous and we do not spawn a new thread per server.

HTH
Avati

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Paul Cuzner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Wouldn't the thread count relate to the number of bricks in the volume,
> rather that peers in the cluster?

My naive understanding is:

1) Yes, you should expect to see one connection to each brick.

2) Some of the "scaling gluster to 1000" nodes work might address the
issue, as to avoid 1000 * brick count/perserver connections.

But yeah, Kelly: I think you're seeing the right number of threads.
But this is outside of my expertise.

James