Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] RFC: Gluster bundles for 3.5

From: James
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] RFC: Gluster bundles for 3.5
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:25:21 -0400

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM, John Mark Walker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As you may or may not be aware, there are quite a few maturing projects that
> may warrant inclusion in a GlusterFS 3.5 bundle:
>
> - gluster-swift
> - gluster-hdfs/gluster-hadoop
> - oVirt 3.4 (for RESTful API and management GUI)
> - pmux - for distributed MapReduce jobs
> - gflocator - implements some measure of data locality, used in pmux
> - glubix - for monitoring with zabbix
> - puppet-gluster - puppet module for deploying GlusterFS

Obviously I agree ;)

I would also nominate libgfapi-python [1] and glupy [2].

Although I wouldn't expect this (although I'd certainly welcome it) is
if major breakages in GlusterFS break Puppet-Gluster, that this be a
blocker for that change, although I don't really see this being an
issue since the user --xml interface is stable.

> I mention these in particular because there are actual, real-life users for
> each of them. If there are other projects out there that you feel have been
> overlooked, please nominate them.

Thanks for saving me from doing this :)

> How do we distribute this software? I've long thought that the easiest way to
> release them is as packages that we make available for download with each
> major release. We could call the major releases "Gluster Software
> Distribution" or "Gluster++" or some other witty name that makes it clear
> that it's more than just GlusterFS.

The amazing kkeithley [3]* might be helping me rpm-ify Puppet-Gluster
this week. This will serve a few use cases including the above, the
CentOS storage SIG, and maybe even RHS if they ever wanted to use
Puppet-Gluster.

> Please comment on both the projects I've listed above, as well as how we
> should go about making this part of a release.
>
> -JM

Cheers,
James
@purpleidea (twitter / irc)
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/

[1] https://github.com/gluster/libgfapi-python/
[2] https://github.com/jdarcy/glupy/
[3]* kkeithley is even cooler in person than on IRC