Re: [Gluster-devel] DHT idea: rebalance-specific layout

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] DHT idea: rebalance-specific layout
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:47:40 -0004

One question: would(n't) there be a chance for "thrashing" (maybe
there's a better word) where new files are getting put on brick X, but
the rebalance is then trying to move them to brick Y?

In this scenario, neither layout would lead to placing new files on the oldest bricks. However, you do remind me of a point I forgot to mention: the rebalance must only run on the oldest bricks. Otherwise it would be possible for a file to be placed (according to the regular layout) on one of the newest bricks, then the rebalance process running on that brick would push it (according to the rebalance layout) to one of the medium bricks.