gm2

Re: Portable bitwise operations library (was Re: Portability Considerati

From: john o goyo
Subject: Re: Portable bitwise operations library (was Re: Portability Considerations)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:35:16 -0400

Greetings, Alice.

On 2024-03-22 18:22, Alice Osako wrote:
john o goyo:
Greetings, Alice.

On 2024-03-22 16:13, Alice Osako wrote (in part):
I've finished the GCC Modula-2 implementation for x86_64, at least as far as I can tell. I may have overlooked something, but I don't believe so.

I've re-written the test suite to be somewhat more systematic, and while it is still pretty ad-hoc it does at least exercise all of the procedures and functions defined in the API (at least, I think it does, I may have missed something somewhere). I've diffed the voluminous output of the tests for both of the implementations (through the simple expedient of redirecting the output to a pair of text files), and they now are in agreement, so I can at least say that if they are flawed, then both are flawed in the same ways.

I am a little confused here.  I tried compiling CardBitOps.mod (on Solaris 11.3/sparc) and receive the following strange error.

[~/opt/Alice]=> gcc-git -c -fiso -I. CardBitOps.mod
<built-in>: error: the file containing the definition module cannot be found

That's actually on me,

The error is mine.  I invoked gcc-git, now gm2-git, as can be seen above.  (I placed the def'n module in the same directory.)

It builds and runs on my sparc64.

There are a lot of tests and it does seem to clear to me if anything fails. My suggestion is to report the number of passes/fails at the end of the run.

Sincerely,
john