gm2

Re: Portable bitwise operations library (was Re: Portability Considerati

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Re: Portable bitwise operations library (was Re: Portability Considerations)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:05:51 -0400

john o goyo:
The error is mine.  I invoked gcc-git, now gm2-git, as can be seen above.  (I placed the def'n module in the same directory.)

It builds and runs on my sparc64.

Good to hear that!

There are a lot of tests and it does seem to clear to me if anything fails. My suggestion is to report the number of passes/fails at the end of the run.

I intend to add that at some point, though the absence of a testing framework makes adding something like that a bit difficult. At this time it doesn't actually test the results automatically at all; it is reliant on human review to spot the faults, which is far from ideal especially given the large number of tests as you mentioned.

So far, the best approach I've had was to compare the two existing versions using a visual diff utility. While this was a tremendous help, it only shows where the output of the two differs; if both versions have the same flawed output, it does nothing to indicate the problem.

I really have no desire to dig myself any deeper, but at this point I am at the stage where writing a unit testing framework may be necessary for the existing stack of interconnected projects to progress. I really didn't expect this, and am wondering just how far down the rabbit hole I will need to go. I am already looking at hoisting the M2BSK portable I/O code to support the test suite - and probably some of my other stacked projects, given what each will entail - in much the same way I did the bit manipulation code itself, which is not something I am looking forward to at all.

When I set out on this journey I had no idea just how much would be involved in just getting the tools I needed before I could approach writing the toy Lisp implementation that was my end goal. I wasn't planning on a deep dive into Modula-2, but here I am.

In the meantime, I am working on updating the README.md file for the project, which I will probably post in a few minutes. Any advice on how to improve it further would be appreciated.