Re[2]: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tool

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tools?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:24:07 +0100

Hello Rob,

>> Can you explain this further? What means "work on Flash technologies"?
RS>   I'm not a laywer. :-) I just printed out that link to the EULA, I should
RS> probably have a real lawyer read it.

I was asking what *you* meant with it :-)

>> Untrue. I *do* use and have buyed the IDE. Why shouldn't I? After all
>> our (our company's) goal is to use Gnash as an player for embedded

RS>   I'm going to be more than a little upset if I'm forced to back out all
RS> the AGG work. :-( Now I do have to go find a lawyer, unless Adobe
RS> decides to supply us with their interpretation of the EULA, and how it
RS> applies to developers of Flash technology. This also means I can't now
RS> do the 0.7.32 release with AGG included until we have a definite legal
RS> opinion. We would have to have gone through this process eventually, but
RS> now I have to do it right away...

I understand Gnash developers all do constructive work and are no
lawyers, but I can't believe this. This would mean when I just
*install* the MM/Adobe tools (which implies I accept the EULA) I am
practically prohibited to contribute to the Gnash project?? I would
accept it that I may not use (in an active manner) the tools to do any
reverse-engineering. With other words, I cannot write test cases for
Gnash using the Adobe tools.

So I would end up using a pirated copy of Flash just to avoid the
licence... ;)

RS> Most of my other thoughts on this
RS> right now are all four letter words not suitable for a public email list.

You are not alone.

Udo