Re: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tools?

From: Nicolas Cannasse
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tools?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:19:41 +0100

>   Considering Adobe has made this large code donation to Mozilla as open
> source software, it would appear that they aren't that worried about IP
> issues anymore. It seems silly to think that using the IDE to generate a
> Flash movie is more of a problem than releasing piles of their source
> code. I'd still prefer a definitive statement to clarify this though.

You won't get it. So fare, all issues related on IP "claimed" by Adobe
on the file formats and protocols have been unanswered (The Red5 project
is a good example ). I guess that the rule is not to state anything that
you might regret in the future, and then keep all possibilities of
lawsuits open. As I'm personally living in Europe, I know that my work
on the SWF file format is covered by the "need for interoperability".
There is such a thing in the US DMCA but I'm not a lawyer either.

I think that in the end, in such areas you can't tell which side would
win in a lawsuit until judgement has been decided. That's the whole FUD
strategy of the software industry, and the reason why we often see
illegal software EULA.

Nicolas