Re: [Gnash] Gnash/XVideo Patch for 0.8.3

From: Craig Kelley
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash/XVideo Patch for 0.8.3
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:42:02 -0600

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM, strk <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:39:05AM -0600, Craig Kelley wrote:
> > I've updated my XVideo patch for 0.8.3.  It can be found here:
> >
> >    http://www.xmission.com/~ink/gnash/gnash-xvideo/
>
> The patch makes 'xvideo' look like an actual gui, why ?
> Also, the patch requires gtk gui and ffmpeg media handler,
> isn't there a chance to make use of xvideo also from other guis
> (X-based) and other media handlers ?

It makes it a gui so that it is completely optional.   It
fundamentally changes the GTK gui, and I didn't want to upset the
default build of gnash with it (an early design decision made on IRC,
but by no means required).  It requires ffmpeg because it needs an
rgb->yuv conversion routine, which cannot be provided by gst (yet --
appsink + ffmpegcolorspace plugin would work, but appsink is in ugly
right now).  It could be a 3rd autoconf flag --enable-xvideo, but in
reality it's currently a "subclass" of the GTK gui.  It will never
work with non-X GUI's (fb, fltk on Windows, etc.).  I haven't seen a
good way to implement it in KDE.

It could be used by other GUI's, if we refactor the gui code in a
similar fashion to what Ekiga has done.  See this thread:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ekiga-devel-list/2006-September/msg00115.html

I've heard rumblings of changing the GUI code in the near future, so
maybe this could be a part of that.  In OO terms, we'd have a GUI that
had a generic widget system (GTK) which draws on a generic
OutputDevice (XVideo, OpenGL, Software).  XVideo would then be
relegated to 2D display, and event coordinate translation.  We could
also then have a simple OpenGL display, with whatever GUI on top of it
(?).  Right now it's all mixed together.

This patch may not be for everyone, but it does let you watch SWF's at
full screen on low-end hardware.  I can watch Homestar Runner cartoons
at 1280x1024 on an AMD Geode 1Ghz with an ancient S3 on-board video
adapter.  It works with Mozilla as well.

--
http://inconnu.islug.org/~ink finger address@hidden for PGP block