Re: [Gnash] Creating Visual Studio project files for Gnash

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Creating Visual Studio project files for Gnash
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 07:23:28 -0600

Erick Mendez wrote:

> Well, as it turns out I might have a bit of spare time over the
> weekend and I thought I might try to create Gnash Visual Studio
> project files. While hunting for Makefiles I realized that version
> 0.8.5 has around 50 Makefiles.am scattered around.

  Plus many more Makefile fragments. for the gui and the class
libraries. My gut feeling this is more than a weekend project. :-)

> My question to you guys is: What are the strictly essential Makefiles
>  that need to be compiled in order to build gnash (and in what
> order)?

All of them are required except things in testsuite and the plugin.
You need to build libamf, libnet, libbase, libmedia, libsound, etc...
the finally libcore.

> Additionally I have been getting external dependencies (such as boost
>  and cairo) and I would like to know if there is some sort of list
> somewhere that can guide me?

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/manual/gnashref.html#dependencies.
You can grab some of the dependencies needed from the mingw sysroot at:
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Cross_building_with_mingw. We use mingw32 to
build Gnash for windoze.

> If I succeed I will naturally provide the project files to you guys,
>  maybe somebody can make use of them.

  People have done this before, but usually don't maintain it, so the
project files quickly get out of date. There have already been big
changes in trunk since the 0.8.5 release a few months ago. Right now
we're rearranging all the class library and test files, so everytime we
move or rename a file, you'd have to make the same change.

  The biggest problem is that Gnash uses autoconf to configure, which
visual studio has no clue about. So you need to make a gnashconfig.h by
hand.

        - rob -