gnoppix-devel

[Gnoppix-devel] Re: Gnoppix

From: Sven Herzberg
Subject: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: Gnoppix
Date: 10 Sep 2003 13:34:12 +0200

Am Mi, 2003-09-10 um 12.56 schrieb Kevin C. Krinke:
> I'd like to volunteer my services to the Gnoppix project.
>
> What kinds of things do you need done that I can possibly do?
>
> I do have a fair bit of experience with mastering Knoppix so I'm totally
> familiar with the layout, and in fact I've already dissected the 0.5
> release of Gnoppix already.
>
> As soon as Gnoppix is ready I'd like to being selling it on my company's
> site: http://opendoorsoftware.com/cgi/http.pl?p=SoftwareOnCD
>
> Again, if there's anything I can do please do not hesitate to ask.
>
> Also, if you're very adamant on having GNOME 2.4 on the disc, might I
> suggest using a Garnome build set to the /usr/local/garnome directory?
> I've got extensive experience setting this up and am itching to apply it
> to an ISO environment. I was origionally going to hack-up Knoppix itself
> to the bare minimums and then install Garnome from there. With Garnome I
> could have a finished 2.4 build within a few days of the official
> release, this build could also include various applications that are not
> part of the "Official GNOME 2.4" list, yet people have come to expect
> them (like totem, xine, galeon, etc).

  Nice idea, but I don't think that this matches our targets. Debian
GNU/Linux is a really cool distribution, because it's easily
maintainable and it's a very clean distribution, any foreign
contribution (such as a garnome build) makes this clean distribution
just more dirty.

  In my opinion it's not THAT important to have a running GNOME 2.4
environment if we can focus on other (important) missing stuff.

  You say that you've got some experience with Knoppix already, then we
might have this task for you:

  GNOPPIX is still kind of a german only GNOPPIX as we don't provide any
way of selecting a language yet. My idea would be that we set a variable
on boot-time (via lilo selection). This way we can have the following:

  Some (~5) predefined selections (english, german, frensh, spanish, one
more *g*) in the lilo boot screen that set a variable lang={en,de,fr,es}
that can be set from command-line lilo too (for all the other
languages).

  Then we can have one init-script that gets this variable set
neccessary environment variables and writes neccessary files (like
/etc/environment).

  So, what do you think?

Regards,
  Sven