gnu-arch-users

Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:54:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, address@hidden wrote:

Blech, all this "Tom sucks as a maintainer" crap irks me quite badly.
If people think he did such a bad job, why can't someone step up as a
maintainer and try doing a better job?  Seriously, I dare you all.

Well, Walter tried in the past and ArX is the result. That was in time where Arch and BitKeeper was the only usable distributed SCMs. The question now is why to step up and start maintaining either tla or revc when a lot happened in DSCM space in the past and a lot of systems are curretly alive and maintained. Also Arch (larch) was one of the first DSCM in free software world (here Tom deserves _BIG_ thanks and he together with Arch already does have its place in the free software history), but world has changed a bit from technology point of view recently, prefering BitKeeper-like operation and Arch now seems to be a bit out-dated. Question is why to spend time on something like that when your time might be more usefull on another project?

Thanks to Tom and others for keeping larch/tla alive for so long time!

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden